Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chocolate for Breakfast

Today we went to the Perugina chocolate factory--the once iconic candy producer of Perugia. Sadly, since it moved out of Perugia and was purchased by Nestle the company has lost some of its "mystique" as being a regional product. Either way, most of the Perugians I talk to still take pride in "their" chocolate. These days the company's factory is located on the outskirts of Perugia in a town whose name I have sadly forgotten. If my memory is correct the town's name might have started with "San _(blank)_" and ended with a vowel. Unfortunately, this description is about as useful as looking up a Mr. Smith in the New York Metropolitan phone book and not knowing his first name.

After waking up late due to my alarm not going off (Ok Ok it went off, I just chose to ignore it) I had to forgo both a breakfast AND my morning cup of coffee in order not get left behind by my class. For some of you, missing breakfast and/or coffee may be a common occurrence, but for people such as myself it is not a good thing and as a result I was in NO MOOD to go parading around even the most happy of places (like a chocolate factory).

Obviously, given my hurried and disgruntling morning it should come as no surprise that I--once again--forgot my camera. In the end however, it turned out not to be too big of a deal since photos were prohibited once inside the building. Fortunately though I was able to get a photo from a friend who was able to sneek her camera in.
Just Kidding.

Anyway, the tour was pretty uneventful and mainly consisted of us touring the factory floor and seeing how the chocolate is made, molded, packaged and shipped. Pretty much the only thing that separated it from a tour of a cardboard box factory in Paramus, NJ was the fact that it smelled like chocolate the whole time. Personally this wasn't that big of a deal since I'm not that much of a chocolate fan, but for some of the people in our group it was like they died and went to heaven.

All in all the walking tour--which also included seeing a replica of the world's largest Baci--took about an hour. As an aside, a Baci is a type of chocolate made by Perugina similar to a Hersey's kiss and, coincidentally enough, Baci is Italian for 'kiss'. By the end however, an hour was about as much as I could take given my lack of caffeination. The main highlight of the whole trip came as we stood in the lobby and were given dozens upon dozens of free chocolate bars--a few of which I grabbed for my roommates who I was sure would appreciate them more than I would.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment