Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday's Forecast: Rain, Tuesday:Rain, Wednesday: Fire Storms, Thursday: No Report

At this time of year Perugia--and all of Umbria for that matter--gets a great deal of rain and even though today it is relatively nice out, looking at the "10 Day Forecast" on Weather.com might plunge even the most upbeat person into a bout of Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Seemingly every other day it rains in this city--and for the next seven days it will be EVERYDAY! Now, I'm not trying to be dramatic or whine (after all, there are a lot worse things in the world) but as my time here is coming to a close I would like to enjoy at least some productive days--especially after this Sunday.

While I try to refrain from speaking in absolutes, I think it is safe to say that this past Sunday it rained the most I have ever seen in a VERY long time. So much in fact that Monday, when I went for a ride, I found nearly all of the valley below Perugia to be flooded--there were even roads covered under several inches of muddy water.

After waking up close to 11am (because whats the point of getting up when the rain is coming down so hard you can hear it through a six foot thick medieval stone wall) my roommates and I made our own individual breakfasts followed by the days main activity: sitting around our apartment. Every now and then the silence was broken by either the swapping of various YouTube videos or the telling of stupid stories about who-knows-what. However, most of the time was spent in silence with each of us sitting in our various corners of the room, staring into our computer screens. Pathetic.

The worst part about days like these is that laziness seeps into nearly every activity you do. Even a mundane, simple problem--like having to pick up a dropped pencil--gets boiled down to a level in which a minimal amount of effort (i.e. movement) is exerted to bring about a solution. A perfect example of this came at around 6pm when it came time to make some dinner.

Now, one would think that after hours of doing nothing but sitting the act of actually standing and doing SOMETHING would be a welcomed idea. Wrong. After about five minutes of standing over the frying pan I, inevitably, resorted to this....

And so, I present to you the LOWEST point of my day Sunday--making dinner. No, I am not proud of this, but then again that is probably to be expected.

Hopefully over the course of the next few days, as the rain comes down, I can somehow eek out some form of productivity in fifteen or so hours I am awake. At the very least, I hope to not have a repeat of this...

E

No comments:

Post a Comment