Saturday, November 27, 2010

An Italian Thanksgiving

About a week ago a familiar feeling came over me as I was making my morning cup of coffee. While watching the water boil (yes, every now and then I watch the coffee pot) it hit me pretty unexpectedly. I was homesick. The main driver of this feeling was the fact that I wasn't going to be home for Thanksgiving--my favorite holiday.After talking to a few other kids in the program, it became woefully apparent that I wasnt the only one with this feeling.

My reasons for liking Thanksgiving is pretty simple. Unlike Christmas, birthdays, or other holidays, Thanksgiving is a day in which there is very little expectation. You dont need to buy gifts or wrap anything. All you need to do is show up, eat, and be around family. Sadly, given that all of our families are an ocean away, being with them probably wasn't going to happen. To make up for this, my roommates and a few of our friends from the program decided to stage our own "Italian Thanksgiving." Fortunately for me, I live with two enthusiastic cooks and have friends who were just as willing to make this event happen.

To be honest, the dinner came out much better than I thought it would. Obviously, it wasn't the exact same as the Thanksgiving we had at home. For one thing, we couldn't find a whole turkey. Actually, that isn't true. We could find a turkey, but it was--unfortunately--living. All that was required to get it to the table was killing it, feathering it, gutting it, and last but not least cooking it. While my roommate Stephen was totally ready for the task, I doubt Umbra would appreciate us getting blood all over their apartment. Plus, I wasn't going to clean up the mixture of blood and feather which would undoubtedly have resulted. Therefore, it should come as no surprise then that we didn't have a whole turkey, but instead dined on some fine turkey breasts. Personally, I didnt mind.

In the end, the result of the meal was the same as it would have been back home. Everyone was slouched over our couch moaning in agony due to their impending food coma complaining that they couldn't fit in any more food--only to eat one more piece of dessert. It was perfect and perfectly American. Adding to the "American-ness" of this meal--beyond the fact that we had stuffed our faces--was that, due to running all four stove burners, the oven, and the washing machine SIMULTANEOUSLY, we consumed enough energy to blow the fuse to our building. AMERICA!

I'll put up some photos when I get them.

Happy Holidays.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment